Frequently Asked Questions

How much does membership cost?

Rates for 2018 are £200 per year (£160 for senior citizens who have been senior members for at least one year). Youth members (aged 17 to 21) pay £40, and junior members (16 years and under) are free. (NB Membership fees are reviewed annually.)

What further payments are required, for permits etc?

No further payments are needed for most of our fishing, except for loch trout fishing, and for River Tay trout permits in special circumstances (see Trout Fishing page).

How are permits distributed?

A list of fishing available for the current season can be found in your membership handbook and on the PDAA website.

Permits are available online via email, by post, or by collection in person from PD Malloch’s  tackle shop in Perth. The Availability section of each beat page described the various options.

Balloted fishing: around 4 to 6 weeks ahead of a balloted beat becoming available, the salmon secretary will contact members by email or post with details and dates of the available fishing. The member fills in the beats and dates he or she wishes to fish and sends it back to the salmon secretary. The names and dates are entered into a spreadsheet and an electronic ballot is run.

Details of the dates and beats awarded will be sent by post or email back to the member along with the required permit for the day(s) awarded – this can be printed out and carried on your person when fishing, or simply as an email permit on your phone, along with PDAA membership card and handbook.

The ballot details are then entered into the Supersaas online booking system, so that cancellations and rebooking of available places can be made. 

Online booking of unballoted fishing is available on Supersaas for certain beats throughout the season (eg Upper Delvine, Upper Redgorton).

Is membership restricted to Perth and 15 miles around?

No, membership is available to anyone, anywhere.

How can I join PDAA?

Application forms are available on the website, which can be filled in online or printed off, filled in and posted to the PDAA secretary (address on the form) along with 2 x passport type photographs. Subscriptions can be paid either by cheque, in person at PD Malloch's or at the association's AGM, or by electronic bank transfer.

When I get a permit, how do I find directions to the beat?

Most permits from the ballot or Supersaas system are provided with maps and/or links to maps. See also the ‘Our Fishing’ pages of the website which provide a lot of details for each beat, including a Google map showing access and prominent features.

(NB If you wish to contribute additional information and tips for fishing any of our beats, please send it by email to

Are there any particular rules I must follow?

Just basic fishing etiquette. Take your turn in the queue when entering the water (if busy), do not go in the water in front of another angler; these rules must be followed especially when fishing Rome Croy and Muirtons. Some beats are fly only, some allow all methods; ask the ghillie if in doubt.

What should I do if I find a problem with the PDAA website?

If you come across any information that is wrong or out of date, or have a problem with functionality (eg a dead link, things not working as they should), or have any information that you would like to see added, please contact the website manager using the Contact Us form.

Can I take a guest fishing?

Yes, there is now a temporary membership scheme which allows members to take a guest/visitor permit on Upper Redgorton and Upper Delvine at a cost of £5, only available at P.D.Malloch's in Perth. Limited to two guest permits per member per year. Also available are guest/visitor permits online at Logierait, limited to two free permits per member per year, see members fishing pages for details.